Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Reunion Time

As usual, this was a welcomed event...and it was even more special this time. Gene and I were invited to come up on Saturday to spend time with everyone who had arrived early. It was wonderful. I still had a bit of a backache, but I just popped the ibuprofen and kept on going.
Arthur Wells and Melanie were gracious host and hostess and laid a spread fit for kings and queens. Wow! Everything was delicious! The weather was hot and steamy, but after a thunderburst blew over and drenched the grounds, it did seem to cool things down a bit.
We talked and laughed and shared pictures. It was great! Then the day of the reunion was upon us. Melanie, Tracy and Wayne, (all Reases) prepared the food. Wayne has started a business cooking pork and chicken. He did a fantastic job and the food was perfect. I enjoyed it all. Several people brought desserts. Yummmm! With the heat being so high...and the humidity draining all fluids from us, water, tea and any other kinds of drink was most appreciated.
The kids enjoyed the swings, jump castle, and just running around in the rain. Family photos were made quickly due to the storm coming. Everyone was cooperative during the photo sessions.
It is sad to see all of our elder Rease's getting frail, but they hung in there like real troopers in that horrific heat. Wilbur is the oldest and will be 90 years old in November. Next, Ruth "Toots" (Rease) Lyon. I was sorry to see her having to be in a wheelchair, but I know one thing; she enjoyed eating those boiled peanuts (or bald peanuts, as the Southerners say). Marie (Rease) Nash looked great! It was good to see her laughing. And last, but not least, was Betty (Rease) Kelley showing off her beautiful smile. She's a hoot and so much fun to be with. Those elders missing were Eunice (Rease) Lawrence, Charles Edmund Rease, and Arthur Wells Rease. Also missing was our cousin, Sheryl Elizabeth Kelley Ray. I'm sure they were watching over us while we showed off pictures of them, and shared our memories of them. They were not in our presence but we felt them in our hearts.
And just as quick as the tents and jump castles and chairs were set up, they came down. Before everyone left, it was as if nothing had taken place. But the memories are on film and in our thoughts. Nothing can take those wonderful moments we shared.
Thanks to the Ruby Rease family for their graciousness and organizational skills that everything went off smoothly and I didn't hear one complaint.
I will post pictures later. I'm in the middle of dealing with a dead computer and trying to get another one set up. So be patient with me.
Tomorrow Gene is having oral surgery done on a wisdom tooth. It started breaking into pieces so it's time to deal with it. Then I will go on Friday to have x-rays done on my back and hand. I'm thinking arthritis is the problem. I noticed years ago when I crocheted that my hand would cramp up on me. As for my back, I think it, too, is arthritis but it's aggravated by picking up little ones. Babies must be picked up and hugged and there's no getting by that one. We've had some busy weekends since the reunion, so there is more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment